Friday, October 18, 2013

FOODIE FRIDAY and no REVIEW...But I have something good for YOU!

 
Sad but true...we did not dine out this week.  I cleaned and shopped and cooked and served both Saturday and Sunday. 
This is good for you because I am now going to share the
BEST PIE CRUST RECIPE EVER!
 
Why is it the best? Because it is easy and can be used for quiche and pies.
 
All you need is flour, butter, ice water and to simplify, a food processor.  I use the Cuisinart that I received as a shower gift 25 years ago.  Still kicking....thank you Marcia.
 
The RECIPE
This is double because I use half for a quiche crust and half for POT PIES 
2 cups flour
2 sticks butter at room temp
ice water
 
The PROCESS
 
 
Measure your flour right into the processor.
Cut butter into tablespoon size and drop into processor
Process until it looks kinda like oatmeal.
Pour in ice water while machine is running until the whole thing balls up and spins on the blade.
DONE!
 
You can adjust butter up to 1/2 stick less for double batch (or 1/4 less for single) with no ill effects.
For sweet pies I use it all
For Quiche & Pot pies I reduce butter.
 
Now here is the SWEET part!
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ROLL IT.
 
I usually keep half for a quiche and the other half for pot pies.
Either can be stored in fridge or freezer with no filling.
 
For a quiche just drop the ball in the center of the pie plate and using your hands push it down and out and spread it up the sides of the plate...after just a few you will have your system down.
 
For pot pies divide the dough into four balls
find a plate that you can spread the crust out on that will allow you to size it
to lay on top of a small pie tin.
 
Line the plate with Saran Wrap, center a ball of dough on top
press down on the ball moving it to the edges like shown below.
 
 
Lift it up by using the plastic wrap and layer all four. 
They can be stored in fridge or used immediately.
If stored just let them soften up a bit outside of fridge before separating.

 
 
Make your filling.
THIS IS EASY TOO.
I generally cube up leftover roast Turkey
I chop onions, carrots, celery and if I have them MUSHROOMS
I'm not big on giant pieces of potatoes in my pot pies but if you are, go on
 and add them cooked, of course.
  You can add peas too if you like, I don't.
Open up a can of cream of mushroom soup and you might want to loosen it
just a bit with some milk....but not a lot!
Give it a big stir and distribute evenly among the four mini pie tins.
 

 
Simply drop the crust on top and pinch the  sides...DONT FORGET TO
MAKE A SLIT ON TOP FOR THE STEAM TO ESCAPE.
Place on a tray just in case before baking.

 
Cook them up at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the crust looks golden.
If you want to get fancy you can brush on an egg and water mix, but I don't because
you have to chuck most of the egg/water mix and that's a waste.

Eat two, store two in fridge and heat up again later.
I sure hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Thanks for the demo...will have to give it a try. Crust is much better made at home to me and even better if it is easy.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how you make out with the pot pies...yummy

      Delete