Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Delaware Issues Common Cents

 
Back at the Pennington Market, I'm checking out the prices of the cleaning products that fill the shelves and comparing them to the cleaning products I tend to use.  I have been mixing up white vinegar, water and a few drops of scented oils I generally have around the house.  Once again, I find the prices in favor of my own concoctions.  I did not price in the lilac, lavender, or honeysuckle scents, because I only use a few drops, and they last so long that I forget what I paid.  It is possible to use fresh lemon juice instead.  In general, I use 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and a few drops of scented oil to cut the vinegar smell.  The aromatic smell of the oils actually makes it a pleasure to wipe down the counters.
 
 

 
Baking Soda is another great inexpensive product for cleaning.  I use it most for getting rid of any foul smell that might come from my sink drain.  I spill a little bit into the drain with the strainer in place to hold it.  Then I pour in some vinegar and watch it bubble up.  I follow this by a water rinse to wash the rest down.  Recently, I was talking to a professional framer and her idea of the best, no streaking glass cleaner was equal proportions of denatured alcohol and water.  I have not tried that yet but you can be assured I will.  Don't be fooled by all the advertising/propaganda/marketing tricks that are there to make you spend YOUR hard earned money, on products that are wasteful, and potentially damaging to your home environment.  USE COMMON CENTS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment